DILR – Logical Reasoning – Set
The following set contains four questions related to Logical Reasoning. Choose the best answer to each question.
Twenty four people are part of three committees which are to look at research, teaching, and administration respectively. No two committees have any member in common. No two committees are of the same size. Each committee has three types of people: bureaucrats, educationalists, and politicians, with at least one from each of the three types in each committee. The following facts are also known about the committees:
- The numbers of bureaucrats in the research and teaching committees are equal, while the number of bureaucrats in the research committee is 75% of the number of bureaucrats in the administration committee.
- The number of educationalists in the teaching committee is less than the number of educationalists in the research committee. The number of educationalists in the research committee is the average of the numbers of educationalists in the other two committees.
- 60% of the politicians are in the administration committee, and 20% are in the teaching committee.
1) Based on the given information, which of the following statements MUST be FALSE?
a) The size of the research committee is less than the size of the teaching committee
b) In the teaching committee the number of educationalists is equal to the number of politicians
c) The size of the research committee is less than the size of the administration committee
d) In the administration committee the number of bureaucrats is equal to the number of educationalists
2) What is the number of bureaucrats in the administration committee?
3) What is the number of educationalists in the research committee?
4) Which of the following CANNOT be determined uniquely based on the given information?
a) The size of the teaching committee
b) The size of the research committee
c) The total number of educationalists in the three committees
d) The total number of bureaucrats in the three committees
Let the number of bureaucrats in the research committee = x and total number of politicians = y
From point 1) Then number of bureaucrats in the teaching and administration committees will be x and 4x/3 respectively.
From point 3) number of the politicians in the administration committee teaching committee will be 0.6y and 0.2y respectively.
Now let Number of educationalist in research , teaching and administration department are a, b and z such that a > b and a = (b+z)/2 thus z > a > b and a+b+z = 3a
From the given information following table can be made :
|Educationalist||a > b||b||z||3a|
Now as all the values in the table must be integers so minimum value of x = 3 and y = 5 also
10x/3 + y + 3a = 24
So the only possible value for a, x and y are 3, 3 and 5 . Thus the table with required number of people in each committees will be
Now all the question can be answered :
1) a) The size of the research committee is less than the size of the teaching committee
4) a) The size of the teaching committee
Other posts related to Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
How to Solve Number Series Questions in Logical Reasoning
Tricks to Solve Blood Relations Problems in Logical Reasoning
Coded Inequality – Tips and Tricks to Solve Questions in Logical Reasoning
CAT Concepts – Introduction to Data Sufficiency
Basics of Data Interpretation – Approximation
How to prepare for LRDI
How to prepare for Logical Reasoning
How to Prepare for Data Interpretation
Online Coaching Course for CAT Exam Preparation
a) 750+ Videos covering entire CAT syllabus
b) 2 Live Classes (online) every week for doubt clarification
c) Study Material & PDFs for practice and understanding
d) 10 Mock Tests in the latest pattern
e) Previous Year Questions solved on video