Saturday, July 26th, 2014
The notification for the CAT 2014 exam has been released. The CAT 2014 exam dates are:
November 16, 2014 (Sunday)
November 22, 2014 (Saturday)
Other important dates for CAT 2014 exam:
1. Registration begins on August 6, 2014 (Wednesday)
2. Last date of registration is September 30, 2014 (Tuesday)
3. Download of Admit Card will be available on October 16, 2014 (Thursday)
4. Results will be declared in third week of December2014
Other important information regarding CAT 2014 exam and major changes :
1. There will be 2 sessions on each day making it a total of four slots. This would curb the two major problems that students faced with CAT 2013:
a) Normalization of scores across a much larger number of sessions.
b) Students discussing questions and answers after the exam was done as some of the questions (the ant question) were repeated verbatim.
2. There are approximately 4 months left for the exam. So in case you haven’t started your preparation. It is not really late. You can join our online CAT Coaching course for CAT 2014.
3. The exam will be of 170 minutes (a good half an hour more than the 140 minutes that had become the standard over the last few years)
4. Although the sections remain the same, but the number of questions has been changed from 30 in each section to 50 in each section. So,
a) In CAT 2014, Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation would have 50 questions. My guess is that it would have 30-35 questions on Quantitative Aptitude and 15-20 on Data Interpretation.
b) In CAT 2014, Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability will have 50 questions. My guess is that it would have 15-20 questions on Reading Comprehension, 5-10 questions on Verbal Reasoning (Parajumbles, FIJs, Critical Reasoning, etc.), 5-10 questions on Verbal Ability (Sentence Correction, Vocabulary based questions), and 15-20 questions on Logical Reasoning
This is a major change and you will need to tweak your preparation strategy accordingly. Having said that, if you have concentrated on your basics till now – there is no need to worry. Playing with a straight bat always gets you runs!
5. Flexible sectional timing – Candidates have the flexibility for devoting more or less time to each section according to their ability and they can switch over from one section to another section during the exam. This is a good move and will push the competition even higher. Once an aspirant has done enough for clearing the cutoff in one of the sections, he can switch to the section where he / she would get a higher return on time invested.
I would suggest that you incorporate these changes in the next mock you give and try and maximize the returns on time invested. We will be making these changes in our online CAT Coaching test series within a week or so.
I hope I have covered the key points of CAT 2014 notification. During the next week I will write more posts about how to tackle the changes in CAT 2014.
Please share / tweet this post to let your friends know about the important details for CAT 2014. It will also encourage us to write more posts like these.
Disclaimer: The official notification is supposed to be released shortly. Will update it when I get the link.